The Waterfall

3:35 AM Edit This 1 Comment »
We had lived here about a week when my new friend, Lynde introduced us to this beautiful waterfall. Since our first visit we have made many more. It is one of my family's favorite spots. It is less than an hour drive through the countryside and farmland just on the outside of Macae. The drive curves around Pacuda Grande, a well know mountain in our area. For me, the drive is just as great as the pot of gold at the end, the waterfall. Brasil has many waterfalls but this one is perfect for children. The water is shallow and the tadpoles are plentiful! The kids love coming here.
On our first drive to the waterfall Asher and I quickly noticed the scenery changing from farm land to rainforest. "Asher, I think it is official, you are in the rainforest!" I explain to him. "You know what that means mom?" he asks. "No, what?" I can only imagine. "We are going to see leaf cutter ants!" he says with much confidence. Not monkeys, even tapirs (which he mostly wants to see) no, leaf cutter ants. Wow, I sure hope they are there...before I can even put our gear down he has spotted a trail of what else? LEAF CUTTER ANTS!!! An image he had only seen in his books had come alive. He had such interest in these little working ants and here they were, in action. Later we learn the ants are all over Brasil, even at our house! The fascination with them has yet to fade.
The waterfall also has a "slide" the kids can spend hours on. It is a steam of water flowing down a rock that causes slippery algae to form. From the top pf the rock the kids splash into a pool of water where smaller waterfalls are flowing. The entire scene looks pretend; Like you are not truly there but at a Disney attraction made to look like you are at a Brasilian waterfall. It is perfect and surreal. It is such a peaceful and enjoyable play date.






1 comments:

Savvy said...

These stories, pics, everything it's just incredible Annette. I'm so very happy for you guys!!