What did you do last weekend?

3:42 PM Edit This 1 Comment »
Just when I am feeling a little homesick we go off on a little Brasilian adventure. Whether it be to our local Cavaleiros beach for dinner, Lagoa beach for a play date, our "sea shell" beach on cloudy days, the waterfalls for fun, or local coastal towns to spend the weekends there is always something to do close to home. On this adventure we went to Arraial Do Cabo, about 1.5 hours from home. Our friend Jay said it best, "People save an entire year to do what we can do any weekend we want". I have never been a beach lover but living here we have embraced it and are slowly falling in love with sand and the shore. My first day here we took the kids to the beach. As they ran along the fine line of wet sand, racing back and forth with the incoming tide ,I was reminded of my favorite marriage advice from my sister; I felt it was more appropriate at that moment than ever before just arriving to a new destination. "Life (marriage) is like the tide, you have to go with the ebb and the flow".
On this weekend getaway we were fortunate enough to have a boat all to ourselves. We were taken to several beaches all having their own special quality. First we "sand boarded" down a sandy slope - as you can guess I stuck to the kiddy slopes with Chapel. We got to relax, have some food and drink, have the most delicious seafood lunch on a floating cafe. Snorkel...well, not me...yet. We saw sea turtles galore and even greet a penguin! Yes, a wild penguin! One of the last to make the migration, so gentle you could walk up to it and cuddle it in our arms. Asher felt like a real wildlife researcher having this opportunity.
The kids, as you can imagine, can't wait for the next adventure. They are loving every minute of our Brasilian life. From the beach to the fruit market, it is all very exciting to them. I am so proud of how outgoing Asher has been. He is now a great little swimmer, diving to the bottom of the pool for treasures and is even learning to snorkel! Both kids try just about every food put in front of them including oysters. Asher tried them not once, but twice! Both of their favorite foods went from peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to black beans and rice. I am also confident Chapel will leave here being a professional Salsa dancer as she is already learning the steps!
So if you were wondering what we did last weekend imagine we were on a vacation because everyday feels like just that.








1 comments:

Shelby said...

I love this post Annette! I could 'feel' the beautiful life you all have there. BEAUTIFUL! And I must say, you are becoming a wonderful photographer too!